How do I reserve a vehicle? Can I take it abroad? When do I have to bring my rental car back? ... Questions about your rental vehicle? You’ll find the answer here.
How do I reserve a vehicle?
Via this website, by e-mail, phone or fax. Or pop into one of the Dockx Service Shops. Always give your last name, first name, full address, phone and mobile number when making a reservation. In addition, specify the vehicle you would like to hire and the date on which you will pick up and hand back the vehicle.
How far in advance should I reserve?
It is best to reserve a week in advance. It gets especially busy in the weekend and during holidays. A reservation is only final after confirmation. If you need a car urgently, then contact one of our Service Shops.
When are the Dockx Service Shops open?
The Dockx Service Shops are open from Monday to Saturday and from 7.30 pm to 6.30 pm. We are closed on Sundays. Vehicles for Sunday can be picked up on Saturday from 17.30.
How old do I have to be to rent a vehicle?
The minimum age depends on the type of vehicle you are renting.
- Vans: you should be at least 21 and have had a driving licence for at least 1 year.
- Personal cars: you should be at least 23 and have had a driving licence for at least 1 year.
- Motorbikes: you should be at least 25 and have had a driving licence for at least 3 years.
- Sports cars: you should be at least 30 and have had a driving licence for at least 5 years.
Which driving licence do I need to drive a vehicle?
- You need driving licence A for driving a motor of more than 50cc.
- With a driving licence B you can drive a vehicle, meant for the transport of people (max. 8 passengers and 1 driver) or the transport of goods, the weight of which (vehicle + load) does not exceed 3500kg. With this driving licence B you can also pull a trailer up to 750kg.
- For a vehicle up to 3500kg that pulls a trailer of more than 750kg, you need driving licence B/E.
- Driving licence C - with valid certificate of driving suitability - is required for trucks of more than 3500kg. This driving licence also allows the trailing of up to 750 kg.
- For a combination of a vehicle that pulls of the category C with a trailer of more than 750kg, you need driving licence C/E.
- For transport of more than 8 passengers, driving licence D is required.
- A driving licence D/E is needed for a vehicle that pulls from the category D with a trailer of more than 750kg. The trailer may not be used to transport people.
What is a certificate of driving suitability?
For licences from category C or the transport of people, you need a certificate of driving suitability. You can obtain this certificate after a medical examination. The certificate is valid for 5 years. When the certificate of driving suitability is out of date, the validity of driving licence C is also terminated.
What about the tachograph in trucks?
Trucks, registered before 5 August 2005, are equipped with an analogue tachograph. The analogue tachograph disc is provided when you collect the truck. Trucks after 5 August 2005 are equipped with a digital tachograph. When renting a truck, please inform us whether you dispose of a digital driver’s card or not, so we can take this into account when reserving and getting the vehicle ready. On the website www.digitach.be you will find everything about the digital tachograph. Via this website you can also find a blank form to request a digital driver’s card.
What should I bring with me when picking up a vehicle?
You must be able to provide the following documents:
- a valid Belgian identity card;
- a valid European driving licence;
- a credit card, bank card or SIS card.
How much deposit do I pay?
The deposit depends on the duration of the rental contract and the vehicle type that you are renting. You can pay the deposit in cash, via Bancontact or with a credit card (American Express, Visa or Mastercard). For certain categories of rental vehicle we only accept a credit card. The credit card holder must be present when the car is picked up.
Do the Dockx Service Shops also stock removal equipment?
Yes. We sell a wide range of removal boxes and packing material. And we also rent a great many practical aids to help you move.
- Removal boxes for sale - basic removal boxes, book boxes, crockery boxes, linen boxes and wardrobe boxes.
- Packing material for sale - plate protectors, packing paper, tissue paper, bubble wrap, packing chips, mattress protectors, adhesive tape and gloves.
- Removal aids for rental - removal straps, removal covers, rolling boards, transpallets, hand trolleys and ladder lifts.
Is the fuel consumption included in the rental price?
No. You always leave with a full tank and return the vehicle with a full tank. If you don't manage to do this, we will fill the tank up at our pump. The price of this petrol (fuel at daily price) will then appear on your final invoice.
Is the insurance included in the rental price?
The Third Party insurance and All-inclusive insurance are included. The franchise depends on the vehicle type. We recommend that you redeem this franchise. Then you will pay less in the event of any damage. We will gladly give you more information in our Service Shops.
Which damage is not covered?
- damage to the roof of the vehicle and damage due to loading;
- damage that arises from serious error or major negligence by the person renting or driving (e.g. driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol);
- damage deliberately caused (e.g. fraud) by the person renting and/or driver;
- damage to the goods you are transporting.
You will find all the details in our general terms and conditions.
Can I take out extra insurance?
Yes, with your insurance company or other authorised body. You can then take out extra insurance for your load or for passengers (travel insurance and assistance). Are you going abroad? Then you would be well advised to take out additional travel insurance.
Can I drive abroad?
Only to the member states of the European Community. Are you driving to a country outside the EC? Then you are not covered by the insurance.
Can I pick up/leave the car at a Belgian airport?
Yes, on condition that you request this in advance at one of our Service Shops.
What about the environmental impact?
Dockx Rental cares about the environment. A large number of our rental vehicles are equipped with diesel engines with particle filter. What's more: we only rent Eco Cars with an extremely low CO₂ emission level. Dockx Rental also invests in environmentally safe washing and fuelling sites.
What about the deduction for rental vehicle charges?
Since 1 April 2008, part of the cost for renting a personal vehicle can be deducted from your business taxes. This deduction percentage - between 60% and 90% - is based on the CO₂ emissions per kilometre. Environmentally friendly vehicles with low CO₂ emissions are more attractive for tax purposes. For more information about the CO₂ emissions of our rental vehicles, please visit our Service Shops.
|less than 105 g||90%|
|from 105 to 115 g||80%|
|from 116 to 145 g||75%|
|from 146 to 175 g||70%|
|more than 175 g||60%|
|less than 120 g||90%|
|from 120 to 130 g||80%|
|from 131 to 160 g||75%|
|from 161 to 190 g||70%|
|more than 190 g||60%|
More information can be found on the online CO₂ guide from the Belgian government.
When do I return the vehicle?
- You do that on the day that the rental contract expires - before 7.30 in the morning. Unless you have agreed another time when reserving or picking up the vehicle.
- Have you rented a vehicle up to and including Saturday? Then bring it in on that Saturday before 17.30.
- Have you rented a vehicle up to and including Sunday? Then bring it back on Monday before 7.30.
Can I bring back the car outside the opening hours?
Yes. In this event, park the rental vehicle in the car park of the Dockx Service Shop where you picked it up. Make sure you:
- lock the car completely;
- put the steering lock on;
- deposit the car keys.
Can I take the vehicle into another Service Shop?
You should take the vehicle back to the same Dockx Service Shop where you picked it up. If you want to take it back to another Service Shop, state this clearly when you make the reservation - at least 48 hours before picking up the vehicle. You will have to pay a €50 supplement for this service.
How do I pay?
- Are you bringing the vehicle back during office hours? Then we will make up your invoice with you on the spot. Then you can pay.
- Are you returning the vehicle outside office hours? Then we kindly request that you go to the Dockx Service Shop where you returned the vehicle within seven days.
How can I extend the rental period?
Do you want to extend the rental period of your vehicle? Then contact the Dockx Service Shop where you picked up the vehicle. We will give you a new legal rental contract. Without this contract the vehicle will be considered as stolen. You will then no longer be covered by the insurance.
Are you extending the rental contract? Then we might have to increase the deposit. The deposit depends on the rental period.
How do I return the vehicle?
You need to return the vehicle clean - inside and outside - and according to the agreements on the rental contract. If you can’t manage to return the vehicle in a clean state, we will charge an extra cost for the cleaning of the vehicle.
Damage or accident
What do I do in the event of a breakdown?
You will find a folder containing instructions in all our vehicles.
- Got engine trouble or broken down? Then call our breakdown service on +32 (0)3 828 80 80 or +32 (0)2 245 75 75 - right round the clock.
- Have you got a flat tyre? There is a spare wheel and a jack in every vehicle. Do you want to call our breakdown service to take care of this? Then we will charge you extra.
What do I do in the event of an accident?
You will find a folder containing instructions in all our vehicles.
- Always fill in the European accident statement in the event of an accident.
- In case of a dispute, call the police.
- If it’s no longer possible to drive the car, then call our breakdown service on +32 (0)3 828 80 80 or +32 (0)2 245 75 75 - right round the clock.
- Contact your Service Shop within 24 hours of the accident.
Who checks the damage?
Have you reported an accident? An expert will assess the basis of the case. Did the vehicle sustain damage during the rental period? Then you must in any case pay the franchise that is stated in the contract.
Search Dockx Rental
Dockx Service Shops
- Find a Dockx Service Shop in your area!