Do you need to rent a truck? Here’s what you need to know

Whether you have an exceptionally large transport load, a broken truck, or a major move, a rented truck can be useful in many situations. But of course, you can't just rent a vehicle of this size. You need a specific driving licence, and you need to be familiar with concepts such as digitach, OBU and driving validity certificate. We will summarise the most crucial information here.

Dockx truck

Choose the right model

The first step is to find the truck that fits you best. Here at Dockx, you can choose between:

The price for the rental depends on the type of truck and the chosen rental period.

Dockx trucks come with a large number of accessories. We have support equipment available, such as roller boards, hand trucks, pallet trucks and removal tapes. This equipment makes your job much easier and helps you effortlessly move heavy objects.

Driving licence, from BE to C

Driving a truck is very different to driving a passenger car. The turning angle and blind spot are much larger, and the heavy weight means the vehicle cannot be brought to a stop immediately. This is why you need a specific driving licence. The following driving licences are required for renting trucks from Dockx.

  • Driving licence BE: this licence authorises you to drive a vehicle and trailer or semi-trailer with a mass that does not exceed 3,500 kg. However, the mass may be higher if the driving licence was issued before May 2013, provided the combination does not exceed 12,000 kg. This exception allows you to drive such models as the Maxi Load and the various tractors.
  • Driving licence C: this is the licence you usually need to drive a truck. There are several variants, as shown in the box below. You need a C driving licence for larger vehicles, while the C1E or CE licences allow you to drive a trailer.
Driving licence required C1 C1E C CE
Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) of the vehicle (in kg) 3500 < 7500 3500 < 7500 > 7500 > 7500
Maximum number of passengers (not including driver) 8 8 8 8
Trailer > 750 kg No Yes No Yes



In addition to holding one of these driving licences, you also need a driving validity certificate. This certificate is valid for 5 years and is subject to the driver passing a medical examination.

Recording kilometres

Every Dockx truck is equipped with a digital tachograph, or digitach, which is a piece of equipment that monitors things such as speed, driving time and rest time. To be able to operate a digital tachograph you need a digital driver card, which can be requested here. If you have not applied for the driver card in time, you can also take a printout from the device. This exception is only allowed if you do not drive a truck regularly.

It is accompanied by the OBU, or On Board Unit, which registers the mandatory kilometre charge. Dockx includes this kilometre charge in the fixed amount for rental periods of less than 5 days, after which the charge is passed on. Every renter must therefore ensure the green light of the OBU is on. The government provides Dockx with the actual number of kilometres driven twice a month. We will use this to prepare your invoice, which you will receive up to three weeks after renting.

Load and axle load

Once you pick up your load, it is crucial to keep an eye on the weight and load. For example, every truck has a Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) set by the manufacturer. This is the maximum total weight and includes the load, driver and petrol.

Sufficient attention must also be paid to correct axle load distribution. It is important to ensure the load is placed in the middle of the vehicle as much as possible. This ensures the authorised axle load is not exceeded.

So pay attention to the load position. This will take care of any worries you may have, but more importantly, prevent fines. 

Now you are aware of the most important things to be taken into consideration when renting a truck, you can view our range of rental trucks online and reserve one. 

Truck range