Do you have a question about your car rental? You can find answers to the most frequently asked questions here. You didn't find an appropriate answer? Chat with us or contact your Dockx Service Shop.

Which driving licence must I have?

In order to drive a truck, you must comply with the current obligations. These include a valid Class C licence and a driver’s medical certificate as from category C or for passenger transport. This certificate is obtained after a medical examination and is valid for 5 years. When the driver’s medical certificate is out of date, the validity of the Class C licence also expires. 

Back to questions

What about the kilometre tax for trucks?

From 1 April 2016, all owners of trucks with a maximum authorised mass (MAM) of more than 3.5 tonnes must pay a kilometre tax for the use of motorways and certain regional and municipal roads in Belgium. The MAM of the trailer determines whether the kilometre tax is applicable or not.

At Dockx, the kilometre tax is calculated into the rental price of the truck, based on a fixed price, for rentals of less than 5 days. If a truck is rented for more than 5 days, the actual costs of the kilometre tax will be charged.

An on board unit (OBU) is installed in all Dockx rental trucks. Upon departure, the renter must ensure that the green light is on; that's the signal that the OBU is turned on. You are responsible for reporting any errors (red light) to Dockx and cannot drive the vehicle because of this.

The renter must purchase their own Eurovignette for the Netherlands and Germany at the border.

Back to questions

What about the driver's card and digital tachograph?

Drivers of Class BE, C, CE, D and DE licence trucks must possess a digital driver's card. Dockx Rental trucks are equipped with a digital tachograph. You will find more information about the digital tachograph on the website Via this website you can also find a blank form to request a digital driver’s card.

Back to questions

Legal regulation loading and axle loads

Just like the MAM (Maximum Authorised Mass), the axle load is also checked. So pay sufficient attention to the correct loading of the vehicle; it will save you lots of concerns and fines. To achieve a proper load distribution, you must place as much of the load in the middle of the vehicle as possible. This will avoid exceeding the authorised axle loads.

Back to questions